Khashoggi: Police 'get permission' to search well

Authorities have reportedly gained permission to search a well in the garden of the Saudi consulate in Istanbul – where journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed.

Turkish broadcaster NTV said police had been given the green light after previous reports that the Saudis had refused.

The search is expected to take place later today.

Two sources on Tuesday told Sky News that “cut up” body parts had been found, with one saying they were discovered in the garden of the consul general’s home.

Saudi Arabia has said Mr Khashoggi died in a “fist fight” at the consulate on 2 October despite Turkey’s president saying it was a calculated murder plot.

Salah Khashoggi, Jamal Khashoggi's son, meets Mohammed Bin Salman. Pic: Saudi Press Association 0:25
Video: Tuesday: Khashoggi’s son face to face with crown prince

It comes as Theresa May told the Commons on Wednesday that anyone suspected of being involved in the murder would not banned from the UK.

“The Home Secretary is taking action against all suspects to prevent them entering the UK. If these individuals currently have visas, those visas will be revoked today,” said Mrs May.

She said there must be a “full and credible investigation” and that the claim Mr Khashoggi died in a fight “does not amount to a credible explanation”.

Saudi Energy Minister Khalid Al-Falih says 'nobody can justify or explain' the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi 1:14
Video: Saudi minister on ‘abhorrent incident’

Meanwhile, Iran’s leader, Hassan Rouhani, has also entered the diplomatic row.

“I don’t think that any country would dare do such a thing without US backing,” he said in remarks broadcast on state television.

Donald Trump yesterday described the journalist’s killing as one of the “worst cover-ups in the history of cover-ups”.

Donald Trump 0:36
Video: ‘Someone really messed up’ over Khashoggi

The American president said: “The execution was no good. And the cover-up, if you want to call it that, was certainly no good.

“Whoever thought of that idea I think is in big trouble – and they should be in big trouble.”

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Mr Khashoggi was the victim of a “savage murder,” and that he is “determined” that no one involved should escape – including those who ordered the killing.

2:58
Video: Erdogan calls Khashoggi killing ‘premeditated murder’

Speaking in Ankara on Wednesday, he said: “We are determined not to allow a cover-up of this murder and to make sure all those responsible – from those who ordered it to those who carried it out – will not be allowed to avoid justice.”

Turkish media has identified a “hit squad” of 15 people who it says helped torture, kill and dismember Mr Khashoggi, and Saudi authorities have arrested 18 people.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said America had identified “some” of those involved and the State Department later said 21 suspects would be declared ineligible to enter the US.

Mr Trump also said he had spoken to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who “strongly said that he had nothing to do with this”.

More from Iran

He is due to be briefed about the suspected murder on Wednesday afternoon by US officials following the CIA chief’s visit to Istanbul.

After this, Mr Trump said he would know “pretty much everything there is to know.”

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

World News – Breaking international news and headlines | Sky News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by WP Robot

Scroll Up